What’s the secret to creating a viral video?
Sometimes something that starts simply can turn into something viral. Like the ALS Bucket Challenge. No one planned it. It just happened.
Others take a bit more creativity and cleverness.
One more thing – viral videos are easier for a B2C business than a B2B business. When you’re selling a product or service to consumers, you can get a little more daring and risky. Not so much on the B2B side. That doesn’t mean a B2B video can’t go viral — just don’t expect it to.
Here are the main features of a Viral Video:
- Make it short – Under 3 minutes
- Plan to release it early in the week – you’ll have less competition than on the weekends.
- Understand emotions – you want people not to just LIKE your video but to SHARE it with their friends. There are 3 types of emotions:
- Awe – cuteness, tug at the heart strings
- Amusement – humor, funny, crazy, hilarious, a parody
- Anger – it makes you mad enough to do something
- Market it – you need to plan how you’re going to promote it – Twitter, Google, Pinterest, Facebook, etc. Cut a 6 sec excerpt for Instagram
- Do something controversial
- Make other people look good
- Think like a reporter – be objective. If you were covering a news story, how would you feature it?
This week, expect all the Super Bowl ads to go viral. Here are a few of the early ones…. some have more views than others – you can see why…..
But I don’t have a budget for a whole production team!
Of course you don’t. And you don’t need one. You can be clever and creative with your cell phone. We’ve got a class! Check out the line-up!