Besides Facebook and Twitter, there’s a bevy of other important social media news that you need to know about. I’m throwing in some great tips and advice — those articles that I find that I couldn’t have written it better myself.
WordPress 2018 Update:
On the top of the list is an upcoming, major WordPress update called “Gutenberg“. Yes, it’s named after the inventor of the printing press. This is a developing story. I’m working with my web guy, Kerry Townsend of SonFisher Web Studios and resident WordPress expert to understand what this update means, what it involves and how it will affect all WordPress sites in the very near future. Watch for more information. And, yes, I’ll be offering 1:1 training as it will be changing how to you blog and create pages. It’s supposed to make things easier and add more cool features, so don’t panic.
Google, Google My Business and Google Ads
Of course Google is at it again. They’ve rebranded and changed Google Ads, their Keyword Research Tool, Search Console, Maps, snippets among other things.
- Google recently held “Google Marketing Live“, a live webinar explaining all the new changes coming up. The folks at WordStrean have summarized the high points. And here are some “Mind-Blowing-Statistics” shared during the event.
- For eCommerce and retailers, Google announced new ad features for the holiday season. Yes, this is the time to start planning your holiday marketing.
- If you’ve been doing Internet marketing since 1995 like I have, you’ll remember that when you created a website, you had to submit it to each of the search engines — one by one. Well, now that Google is the only search engine you need to worry about, they’re removing their URL submission form. So, now you have to do it through Google Search Console.
- If you answer questions regularly, Google will notice you and reward you with page 1 search results. If you Google a question, you’ll see “people also asked” related questions. That has increased bey 34%. If you’re struggling with what to blog about, just answer frequently asked questions.
- Over at Google My Business (GMB) and Google Maps, they’ve rolled out “Explore” options. This means that local brick-and-mortar businesses must have their GMB listings up-to-date and perfect.
- GMB has added a “Call Now” button for posts.
- As of July 24, 2018, your website’s rank may suffer if your website loads too slowly. Here’s Google’s new Mobile Speed Score test. How do you compare with your competition?
Search Engine Optimization, Blogging and Content Marketing
- 30+ SEO Trends for 2018 you can’t afford to ignore. Seriously, ignore at your own peril!
- Blogging for SEO is one thing, but do potential customers actually read your blog? I always tell my classes…
Write for the human reader — your target market — with the search engine in mind.
- Content Marketing isn’t what it used to be. Take into consideration, voice search, podcasting, live streaming and other new features. Here are 2018 Content Marketing Trends that you need to consider incorporating in your marketing strategy and tactics.
- If you write it, they will come — NOT! You have to also think about how you’re going to promote your blog posts. Here are some tips.
YouTube has been playing catch-up when it comes to live streaming. Another thing they’ve lagged behind in is the use of hashtags. No more! YouTube now displays hashtags on videos that can help users search for and discover other videos about the same topics.
General Social Media Marketing Tips
- One of the first steps to successful social media marketing is really understanding your target market and how and why they use social media. Here is a cool infographic on the Psychology of Social Media.
- One of the objectives in posting on social media is getting engagement. Here are 10 Ways to Generate more Engagement with your Social Media posts.
- Even I sometimes forget the social media graphic sizes. Here’s a “cheat sheet” with all the sizes. You never want to take a small graphic and stretch it to fit a larger size. It will look fuzzy. Remember, this is your online image. Make it look it’s best! Create graphics for each size by using this cool tool, Canva.com. They have all the templates in the right sizes.
- Last but not least, I’d thought I’d share this collection of tips to Attract Millennial Parents by Small Business Trends. This is a hot target market. If you determine that Millennials are good potential customers, you’ll want to read this.