And the wait continues. The wait for WordPress 5.0 and its new editor, Gutenberg. It was originally set to launch on Nov. 19, then it was moved to Nov. 27. Now, it’s launch is literally in limbo. It probably won’t launch till sometime in Jan. 2019. Why? Because there’s to be a update to PHP – that’s the building blocks behind WordPress. Plus, they are still working out bugs. It’s possible that WP 5.0 may clash with your theme or installed plugins. Theme and plugin developers are all working on their own updates to launch with WP 5.0.
If you run an WordPress website, don’t install the Gutenberg editor plugin yet. It’s still too early in its beta stage and it may break your website.
If you want to try out the Gutenberg editor without messing up your website, you can create a free website on WordPress.com and blog with new editor. I have my personal site on there and I’m going to be trying out and getting used to the new editor myself.
Once the 5.0 update comes through, you can still use the old editor as a plugin. Please contact your website designer or webmaster to make sure they are abreast of the upcoming major change in WordPress.
Supposedly, this new Gutenberg editor will be easier to use. I like easy. We shall see.
Try out this new Podcast App!
This is a cool new app where you can record podcasts and show off your expertise. It’s called Lookwide and it’s free. It connects with your LinkedIn profile and people can follow you and they’ll be notified when you upload a new podcast. Podcasts can be between 10 seconds and 2 minutes. Hey, that’s a commercial or a “tip of the day”.
I did my first podcast a couple of weeks ago and I already have 64 listens, 10 likes and 22 followers. I recommend writing up what you’re going to say and practicing so it sounds more professional. It’s cool and it’s free and it’s a great way to get known as an expert in your field.
In other Social Media News:
- Hopefully, if you run an ecommerce site, you’ve got your holiday promotions going. Here are some more tips – it’s not too late to make these holidays successful.
- Here, also, are 2018 Holiday Marketing Trends.
- How to Reach and Win Deal-Seekers this Holiday Season.
- All in all, 2018 was a good year for retailers as Thanksgiving and Black Friday sales are up 6% over last year and Small Business Saturday sales up 5%.
- How to Help Shoppers find the right Gift
YouTube has made some major changes this year and here are some notable ones along with some tips to success on YouTube:
- YouTube is removing video credits, but you can still manually add them to the video description.
- A Small Business Guide to YouTube Marketing
- 20 YouTube Hacks from Hubspot
- YouTube viewing habits are changing – what you need to know…
- 2018 YouTube marketing stats for small businesses
- Facebook Live is an alternative to YouTube Live. Here are some “Don’ts” in regards to successful Facebook Live videos.
- And Facebook, not to be undone by YouTube, launched “Watch Party” communal video viewing option to profiles and pages.
- Believe it or not users are not abandoning Facebook even after all their issues this year.
- Facebook Stories is the way for businesses to make up for the news feed visibility reduction.
LinkedIn has added some important features to their company pages — taglines & call-to-action buttons. Please don’t use “visit website”. That’s so boring. Use “Learn More” for a generic one. They’ve got a few more to choose from. Choose wisely.
They are also, in attempts to encourage more people to use the mobile app, now adding “share your location” to their messenger.
Search Engine Optimization will continue to be the major base in digital marketing. You want to be found when people are searching for what you have to offer. Here are some tips:
- 3 Important Ways to Use Keywords in Marketing
- You want your content — blog articles, podcasts, videos, infographics — to be of good quality so that people will want to link to it. That helps tremendously with SEO. They are sharing a link, not copying it. Grabbing content and putting your name on it and calling it yours is still plagiarism and illegal. Hey, that’s exactly what I’m doing here – sharing links! These articles I share I couldn’t have written better myself. Here are some tips to help you create content that people will want to share.
- SEO is also an ongoing task. Here are 9 SEO Habits You Need to Adapt Now.
- Feedback and reviews are important and your Google reviews affect where you come up on Google local search.
- Users can now add hashtags to their Google reviews. Make sure you encourage your happy camper customers to review you on Google and recommend you on Facebook and LinkedIn.
- 3 On-page SEO tips for ecommerce sites to boost traffic and sales.
- Google to let users post comments on search results.
- Google My Business introduces some enhanced features for brick-and-mortar businesses.
- New at Instagram — you can add “alt text” descriptions to pictures. This will help you come up in their search results.
- What does it take to get featured in Instagram’s “Explore” section?
- Instagram is rolling out new layout for user profiles.
- And they are removing fake accounts and spam comments – YAY!
- Videos are content and here are some sites to get free-use background music for your videos.
- What your Headlines say about your Business.
- How to get User Feedback
Other Social Media News, Tips and Tricks:
- Quora is a Q&A site that is a great place to show off your expertise. It also helps with SEO and it’s a great place to find content for you blog. What better way than to know what questions people are asking in your industry or field? Here’s how to not mess it up and put your best foot forward.
- Don’t forget Seniors as a target market online! Here’s new data from Pew Research.
- 5 Tips to feel more Secure on Social Media
- Do Social Media Engagement Metrics Really Matter?
And finally, as we start the final month of 2018, here are the 8 Moments that Changed Social Media in 2018 from the folks at HootSuite.
So, what’s coming in 2019? I’m in the process of compiling all the trends and predictions for the digital marketing world for a series on Greater Phoenix SCORE’s Blog that’ll I’ll replicate here and on my LinkedIn profile.