Back in the day — before social media — if you wanted to reach the old-school media — radio, TV, newspapers and magazines — to get some free publicity, you needed a press release and a list of the contacts at the various media outlets. You had to do a lot of legwork if you were by yourself. If you had a budget, you’d hire a PR agent who already had the contacts that actually looked at releases from the agent.
Now, with the social media, it’s way easier to reach media personalities — especially with Twitter. They are all on Twitter. If you’re not, you’re missing out on an simple way to get exposure. It just takes a little sweat equity. Here are some tips from Social Media Today.
Part of a PR agent’s role was to manage a company’s image. If a crisis happened — and they do — the agent would be the spokesperson and know exactly what to say to smooth things over with the public. Today, however, it’s very easy to mess up your online reputation by posting the wrong thing, getting too political, getting angry, not using quality visual media — videos and pictures — and just by being ignorant.
With all the information out there on how to do online marketing — including this site — being ignorant is no longer an excuse.
“It’s easier to build a good reputation than fix a bad one.” Dan Bova, Entrepreneur Magazine, “4 Ways to Protect Your Company’s Online Reputation”
I can take a look at your current online marketing efforts to see if you’re truly putting your best foot forward. Click here to schedule a free 15-minute phone consult.
Here are some great articles to help with your digital marketing efforts:
- Demographic Segmentation – what it is and how to do it.
- Marketing to Baby Boomers
- How to get Maximum Engagement on Social Media
- 12 Common Marketing Campaign Mistakes to Avoid
- 2019 Email Marketing Research
- 7 Online Groups Entrepreneurs should Consider Joining
- What you need to know about Cybersecurity
- How to Rank Hire on the Instagram Newsfeed
- 7 Best Tools for Instagram Growth
- How to Have Your Website be Your 24/7 Salesperson – Excellent!
- How to Create a LinkedIn Company Page — And just so you know, the company page is different to your personal, individual profile.
- A Guide to E-Commerce Marketing – Free Ebook
- How to be the Content in the top Box on Google
- 5 New Google My Business (GMB) Features
- New GMB On-boarding ask what your business goals are.
- Using Your Competitor’s Keywords
- How to Get the Search Engines to Index Your Website
- Using User-Generated Content
- Blog Title Ideas — You can’t get people to your website if your headlines are not enticing.
- Is Your Content getting the Reach you’d Like? Here are some tips to increase your reach on the social networks.
- 6 Blog Design Mistakes to Avoid
- Creating Social Media Videos for your Business
Back in the day of newspapers, the place to have your news land was “above the fold”. That’s the top part of the paper when it’s stacked at a newsstand with the enticing headlines. Today, “above the fold” refers to the part of a web page that’s at the top before a visitor has to start scrolling. This is where you catch a visitor’s attention.
You only have 7 seconds to catch someone’s attention!