Finding and attracting a local audience takes strategic planning. First you MUST define who your target market niche is — the narrower your focus, the better your results will be.
Know your target – put yourself it their shoes.
Ask yourself these questions or ask your current customers:
- How far would they drive for what you have to offer?
- Where is your web traffic coming from? Check your analytics/site statistics. It’s nice to have visitors from afar, but it’s a long shot that they’re going to be a loyal local customer
- Is your website keywords to generic? Make sure your title reflects your location. Do a Google Keyword search for your geo area.
- Follow local organizations like chambers or associations. Follow those who follow them. Find their groups on LinkedIn and communities on Google+
- Research topics of local interest and blog about them. If you’re writing about something generic, apply it somehow to a local interest or idiosyncrasy.
- Check the insights in your social networks to see your followers demographics and make sure they’re local to your area.