You’ve done your research. You’ve determined who your target market is and which social media networks they use most often. Now you need to get your social media strategy going.
First, it’s not all About You or Your Company!
It’s about what you can do for your client or potential client. They’re thinking, “What’s in it for me?” when they discover your social media. What’s more, it’s about providing valuable information, educating, helping, answering questions that they may ask before they ask them.
Hubspot’s 10-4-1 Social Media Posting Rule
The 10-4-1 Rule is this: for every 15 tweets or posts:
- 10 should be sharing other people’s content to your followers – experts and influencers in your field or industry. That means you need to keep up with industry news daily. Subscribe to their blogs. Follow them on LinkedIn, Twitter, Instagram and Facebook. Share their posts with your followers. The experts will notice you also and appreciate your sharing their content.
- 4 should be sharing your content that’s not direct sales related. These are your blog posts on how to save time and money, videos showing how to do something – content of value to your followers. If the content is good, they’ll share it with their friends and followers and that’s how you become an influencer and known as an expert in your field.
- 1 — and only 1 out of 15 — should be a direct sales pitch — your Call-to-Action (CTA) — a special deal, check this out, order today, etc.
A good strategy is this:
- At least 10-15 posts to Twitter each day – information moves so quickly on Twitter that posts spaced during the day won’t overwhelm your audience.
- 3-5 posts to Facebook a day — Facebook is now very challenging.
- 3-5 posts to LinkedIn a day. Post to any LinkedIn groups 3 times a week. Don’t overburden the group members with your content. Respect their rules. Each group is different. Be sure you read their rules before you start participating.
- If you’re a brick-and-mortar location, don’t forget Google My Business! Even though it’s not a social network, it’s crucial SEO.
- 5-10 on Instagram — graphics, pictures and videos — with hashtags!
This, of course, is not written in stone. Be flexible. If you find that you’re getting more action in one network over another, then you can adjust your posting and focus more time on those networks. That’s where your analytics and insights come in.
Moreover, there’s also a bevy of free tools like HootSuite, Buffer, Dlvr.it and Feedly (my favs) to help you save time and automate a lot of your social media sharing.
Furthermore, if you need help putting together your social media marketing strategy, getting your social media profiles setup, building your following or just learning how to use the tools properly, click here to schedule a free 15-minute phone consult.Follow Me: