You’ve done your research. You’ve determined who your target market is and which social networks they use most often. Now you need to get your social media strategy going.
It’s not all about you or your company
It’s about what you can do for your client or potential client. It’s about providing valuable information, educating, helping, answering questions that they may ask before they ask them.
Hubspot’s 10-4-1 Rule
The 10-4-1 Rule is this: for every 15 tweets or posts:
- 10 should be sharing other people’s content to your followers – experts and influencers in your field or industry. That means you need to keep up with industry news daily. Subscribe to their blogs. Follow them on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook & Google+. Share their posts with your followers. The experts will notice you also and thank you for sharing their content.
- 4 should be sharing your content that’s not direct sales related. These are your blog posts on how to save time and money, how to do something – content of value to your followers. If the content is good, they’ll share it with their friends and followers and that’s how you become an influencer and known as an expert in your field.
- 1 – and only 1 out of 15 – should be a direct sales pitch – a special deal, check this out, order today, etc.
You can post to Twitter more often that you post to Facebook or LinkedIn. A good strategy is this:
- At least 15 posts to Twitter each day – information moves so quickly on Twitter that posts spaced during the day won’t overwhelm your audience.
- 2-3 posts to Facebook a day. If you have Facebook connected to Twitter, where each Facebook post also gets tweeted out, be careful that you’re not duplicating posts.
- 3 posts to LinkedIn a day. Same thing applies to LinkedIn if you have your Twitter account connected to your LinkedIn account. Post to any groups 3 times a week. Don’t overburden the group members with your content. Respect their rules. Each group is different. Be sure you read their rules before you start participating.
- At least 3 posts to Google+ a day. Always post your blog URLs as soon as you publish them so the Google search engine will index it.
This, of course, is not written in stone. Be flexible. If you find that you’re getting more action in one network over another, then you can adjust your posting and focus more time on those networks.
If you need help putting together your social media marketing strategy, getting your social media profiles setup, building your following or just learning how to use the tools properly, please give me call – 602-738-1700
AZ Social Media Wiz
Social Media Trainer & Strategist