Instagram is different from the other social networks as it’s only mobile. It’s owned by Facebook and it also connects to Twitter (however, when shared to Twitter, you only see a link. The picture doesn’t render. Don’t do it! Share images directly to Twitter.)
Should your business be on Instagram?
If you’re a local business, do events, have products, deal with entertainment, then yes, you should be on it.
Instagram is all visual and perfect for reaching the consumer. It’s demographic is mainly under 40. The screenshot below is from a coaching client of mine who got it. It’s a brick-and-mortar store in Chicago that opened an e-commerce site online.
The still shot is cool, but the video is cooler. And using hashtags consistently is part of the strategy.
Web addresses in posts don’t work unless you buy an ad.
A user has to click over to the profile to be able to click on the link to your website. However, if your post is compelling enough, they’ll go. This is example of another client of mine. He uploaded short videos and when we checked the website analytics, Instagram was one of the top sources of visitors.
This is a shot of the end of a clever Instagram Story that the boutique did. They directed the viewer to the bio where the link is. Here are 10 ways to set up Instargram Stories to promote your brand from Social Media Today.
Here are some tips to help you maximize your Instagram strategies and an infographic explaining more.
- Use your company name and logo for recognition when setting up the account
- Add your URL in the bio – this is the only place the link will work unless you pay for advertising.
- Describe your business fully
- Use keywords in bio
- Take and edit photos using the app or upload your own. If using your own, add your logo and website to the picture for branding.
- Create and use a brand #hashtag consistently (Related: What is a hashtag?)
- Tag/mention other users (@username)
- Hold a user generated contest with a #hashtag
- Create short (15 second) videos with their new Instagram TV (IGTV)
- Be specific and relevant to your business, industry and field
Instragram’s reach and creative prowess deliver real-time results and valuable engagement insights. Kissmetrics
How do you manage it all?
HootSuite and Buffer now make it easy to schedule pictures and videos with captions and hashtags into the future from a computer so you don’t have always be using a mobile device — and the pictures render perfectly.
However, before you start posting away, you should clearly define your target market — who you want to reach. I’ve made it easy with the Defining Your Target Market. Click here for a free Workbook.
Then it takes a strategic plan to outline the strategies for reaching your goals. The tactical plan defines how you are going to implement the strategy. Then you need to check you analytics to see what’s been working and not working monthly and adjust and plan for the next month.