Are you ready? It starts next week! Thanksgiving, Black Friday, Small Business Saturday, then Giving Tuesday. Take advantage that all this will be trending on Twitter and Instagram. Get your promo graphics done, your strategy set, the tactical plan checklist developed, because if you expect that people will just find you when all your competitors are using social media and you’re not, you’ll be disappointed. Then you’ll ask, yourself, “Why didn’t I plan for the holidays?” “Why did I wait till the last minute?” It’s not too late! Book a coaching and strategy session! 🎄
WordPress 5.0 with the new Gutenberg Editor coming Nov. 27th!
The WordPress platform will be undergoing a major update on Nov. 27th. The classic WordPress editor that we bloggers are so used to using will become a plugin. I spoke to my web guy, Kerry Townsend of Sonfisher Web Studios and he said, “DO NOT INSTALL GUTENBERG! It’s not ready for prime time yet.” Think of it like when the latest Windows version update came out. Experts never installed the first version. Basically, wait till all the bugs are fixed. And from what I hear, it’s very buggy.
Major updates to software and plugins are usually whole numbers. Security and usability updates are usually like 3.1 or 4.6.3 and so on. They make the updates as users complain or report bugs and problems.
So, if you have your WordPress site to update automatically, take it off. When you see the 5.0 update, DO NOT INSTALL IT! Talk to your webmaster. If you don’t have one — and you really should have someone monitoring backups and security — contact me and we can discuss your options.
I’ll be sitting through a full-day webinar on Gutenberg to learn it so I’ll be able to teach you once it’s debugged. Stay tuned for more information.
WordPress.com – the free WordPress will also be transitioning to Gutenberg. I have a site there so I’ll use it to experiment. What’s the difference between WordPress.com & WordPress.org?
- Instagram rolls out more in-app ad options.
- Reaching Generations
- Marketing to Millennials
- Google Maps (for brick-and-mortar businesses) adds the ability for users to message your business.
- The holidays are busy enough without having to worry about getting your social media marketing done. Here are some tips to help you manage it all.
More Social Media Marketing News – New Tools, Tips & Tricks
- From the folks at Buffer: New Stories Tool. I’ll be trying it out for one of my clients.
- New Google My Business App (for brick-and-mortar businesses)
- How to get more clicks on your Pinterest images to your website
- Pinterest’s new Feed May Drive more Referral Traffic
- Tips for Writing Social Media ad copy that Converts
- In Email Marketing & Marketing Automation … Personalization is Key
- LinkedIn now suggests content for company pages – Company Pages give every business credibility
- LinkedIn’s new Group Infrastructure – LI Groups are a great place to network & get known for your expertise.
- How Color Psychology can Boost Website Conversions
- Ethics in Social Media Marketing?