One thing for sure is that Marketing today isn’t like it used to be! People don’t want to be interrupted by ads or commercials. They’ll search for what they want when they want it. That being said, you need to be found when a potential customer is looking for what you have to offer.
What is “Effective Marketing”?
Effective marketing is marketing that works for you! What do you want to accomplish?
- Increase traffic to your website
- eCommerce sales
- Grow your email list – lead generation
The Old Rules of Marketing
- Marketing simply meant advertising (and branding). And sometimes even sales.
- Advertising needed to appeal to the masses.
- Advertising relied on interrupting people to get them to pay attention to a message.
- Old-fashioned advertising was a 1-way communication: company to consumer.
- Advertising was exclusively about selling products.
- Advertising was based on campaigns that had a limited life.
- Creativity was deemed the most important component of advertising.
- It was more important for the ad agency to win advertising awards than for the client to win new customers.
- Advertising and PR were separate disciplines run by different people with separate goals, strategies and measurement criteria.
The New Rules of Effective Marketing and PR
- Marketing today is much more than just advertising.
- PR is for more than just a mainstream (TV, print, broadcast) media audience.
- You are what you publish.
- People want authenticity, not spin (or hype).
- People want participation, not propaganda.
- Instead of causing a 1-way interruption, marketing is about delivering content at just the precise moment your audience needs it.
- PR is not about your boss seeing your company on TV. It’s about your buyers seeing your company on the Internet when they’re thinking about what you have to offer – or even before!
- Marketing is not about an agency winning awards. It’s about your organization winning business.
- The Internet has made public relations public again, after years of almost exclusive focus on media.
- Companies must drive people into the purchasing process with great online content.
- Blogs, online video, e-books, news releases and other forms of online content let organizations communicate directly with buyers in a form they appreciate.
- Buyers want information in language they understand, not fancy jargon.
- Social networks like Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn allow people all over the world to share content, connect with people and companies they do business with.
- In our always-on world, buyers expect instant 24/7 communications.
- On the web, the lines between marketing and PR (and sales and service, too) have blurred.
Marketing is as Essential as Accounting for Every Business that wants to Grow!
Given all of the above, YOU as a business owner, need to understand today’s marketing. If you are trying to attract new business, then you need to be marketing. The problem is that the average small business owner is not a marketer, just like you’re not an accountant. (Unless you are an accountant, then you’re definitely not an expert marketer! It’s a left-brain vs. right-brain thing. Believe me, being a creative person, I hate accounting, that’s why I outsource that.)
So, what’s a small business owner to do?
Get Social Savvy!
After many years of training small business owners like yourself in a live classroom setting with anywhere from 5 to 30 people, as well as doing training videos, I’ve discovered the best way is 1:1! Why?
- Each person grasps technology differently
- Not every business owner needs to learn EVERYTHING
- Not everyone goes at the same speed
What happens then is your learning is not effective. And when you try to learn on your own, you may be sitting through workshops that you really don’t need. You think you do, and it may help, but to be effective, do you need it?
I’ve used the word “effective” a lot because, what’s the use in marketing and being on social media, if you’re not being effective? If you’re not getting results?
It’s one thing to post on Facebook, but it’s totally different to market on Facebook.
Learn exactly what you need to market YOUR business, easily with 1:1 customized training and coaching!
Imagine amazing your competition by getting on top of them in Google search and leaving them in the dust!