As I read through the latest news, blog posts and magazine articles on digital, social media marketing and SEO daily, I pick out the ones that I feel are important to you, the small business owner. Basically, I could go write up an original article with the same information, but I don’t have that kind of time. Truthfully, I couldn’t have written some of these better myself!
Here’s the latest news from the digital marketing world that you need to know:
- There’s yet another Facebook privacy breach. This time a “privacy bug” was loaded into their system that made all “private” or “friends only” posts viewable to everyone as “public”. Yeah, so the post that you shared with your friend “for their eyes only” can now be viewed by all. However, only 14 million people were affected — out of their 2 billion monthly users. Supposedly, if you were among the affected group, you will be notified.
- Facebook released a report numbering the fake accounts in their platform. It’s their way of letting us know that they’re trying to clean up their act. They’ve disabled 583 million fake accounts in the first 3 months of this year alone! Of, course, you’re smart enough to never buy Facebook fans or Twitter or Instagram followers. They are not your target market! You need to grow your following organically. Sure it takes a little sweat equity the first month, but it’s worth it.
- This might turn you off about advertising or using Facebook to promote your business, but the buzz is that they’re still number 1. In testing paid ads for one of my B2B clients, we tried Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Google Adwords and Facebook beat all the others hands down for the most results. We definitely got more bang for our buck.
- Now you can promote events and special offers on your Google My Business listing. The latest ones will come up in Google Search — and, yes, it’s free!
- SEO-Friendly Hosting — What to look for when choosing where to host your website.
- I hope you all know by now to never just grab pictures off of Google or Bing Images. You can get into big, and expensive trouble with photographers. Here are 14 sites where you can get free-use images for your blogs and promotions. My favorite is Pixaby.
- Every once-in-a-while someone does a study and reveals the Best Times or the Best Way to post on Social Media to get the most engagement. These are VERY generic. Each business is different. Sure for the first month that you’re trying social media marketing, you can go by these guidelines, HOWEVER, your ANALYTICS at the end of the month will tell you what worked and what didn’t work. They’ll also tell you about your following and the best time based on when YOUR FOLLOWING/FANS are online.
- Just posting stuff at random on social media won’t get you the results that you want. You want ENGAGEMENT. That’s why it’s called “social” media. The folks at Buffer offer up tips to help you increase loyalty, grow your following, find advocates.
- Pain Points and Problem Solving — this is what you need to focus on….
- Ah, here’s another: What You Should NOT do on Social Media…