Social Media never ceases to surprise me. I was checking out what was trending on Twitter for a client of mine. I know that usually every Monday is #MondayMotivation. My client just opened a Pilates studio and I’m posting a lot of motivational quotes. What surprised me was on Twitter there was a red “Live” button next to the hashtag #MondayMotivation. Lo and behold, it was a guy live streaming on Periscope using the hashtag #MondayMotivation! What a great, easy, and inexpensive way to broadcast yourself, gain exposure, and build a following!
First, notice the red “Live” button next to #MondayMotivation. That was the top trend in the U.S. when I grabbed this screenshot with 139,000 tweets! This guy’s live video was on top! Next, note how many viewers he had at that moment — 186. However, the reach/visibility he’s getting is in the thousands.
What you need to do and get to broadcast yourself:
- Download the Periscope app to your mobile device and set up an account. Connect your Twitter account.
- Plan ahead what you’re going to talk about.
- Invest in a tripod and a clamp for your phone or tablet to avoid shaking.
- Here are some hashtags that regularly trend on their respective days:
- #MotivationMonday or #MondayMotivation
- #TravelTuesday, #TuesdayMotivation
- #WednesdayWisdom, #HumpDay
- #ThursdayThought or #ThursdayThoughts, #FridayEve
- #FridayFeeling, #FlashbackFriday
- Be prepared to do impromptu streaming if something is trending that is relevant to your business.
Then there are the holidays, awareness and observance days that usually trend on Twitter also.
A word of caution. Always check to see WHY something is trending before you take advantage of it. Never take advantage of a crisis or negative news item.
If you’re not familiar with Twitter or using Hashtags, I have online video classes on both these free tools right here. Get Started Now!