There are many challenges out there in the world of Internet marketing. One of them is that the social media channels and Google, keep making changes. That’s why you need to keep up with the social media news and why I compile this post every Friday. There is so much out there to sort through. Who do you believe? Who is a reliable, trustworthy source? What’s rumor and what’s “fake news”?
How did I learn all this? By reading blog posts, watching videos, taking webinars and knowing which are the best experts out there to read and listen to.
Here are this week’s Best Social Media News….
- 6 New Facebook Live Features You Need to Know – Facebook’s launching of Live Video was the greatest accomplishment of 2016. This makes everyone a broadcaster and these updates make a cool feature even cooler!
- Ask Yoast: AMP for small business owners – Yoast is the favorite plugin for SEO. “AMP” stands for “Accelerated Mobile Pages” — a way to enhance websites and improve visibility in Google Mobile Search. If this is too technical for you, send it to your webmaster. If you determine that the good majority of your target market uses a mobile device more often than a desktop, you should look into AMP.
- Google confirms rolling out the mobile intrusive interstitials (popups) penalty yesterday (January 10th) – I wrote about this a few days ago and it went into effect on January 10, 2017. If you have an intrusive popup on your mobile site, Google will block it from showing up in Google mobile search. This article goes into detail of some popups which are OK.
Snapchat Versus Instagram Stories: What’s the Difference? – Confession: I’ve tried to avoid using Snapchat. I can’t any longer. I have a new client who wants to reach high school students and Snapchat is it. Guess what? As I’m learning about Snapchat, I will share tips and tricks along the way.
- Facebook Ad Specs and Image Sizes [Fully Updated for 2017] – My recommendation is always to try social media marketing without spending any advertising dollars for the first 3-6 months and see how you do. However, if you are opening a new brick-and-mortar location, you might want to invest in some paid advertising on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- 86% of U.S. Adults Aged 18-29 Are Social Media Users (Report) – I bet most of you figured this one out already. If you want to reach the younger crowd, you need to use social media properly to be effective.
- Twitter, PBS NewsHour to Livestream Inauguration of Donald Trump – And I wouldn’t be surprised if Facebook Live-streams it too! This week, I caught Trump live streaming his press conference on Facebook! Furthermore, this is as history-making as the first televised debate between JFK and Nixon!
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Your Popular Social Media Posts – Anything that saves time is a good tip. Here are some ways to recycle your best posts.
- Instagram Announces Stories Insights for Business, Ads in Stories – If you determine that doing paid ads in Instagram works for you, you’ll like this new feature. In Instagram, you can’t add links to your website unless you “pay-to-play”.
- The One-Two Punch of Authenticity and Strategy – “Strategy without honesty is fraud.” ~Sonia Simone. Moreover, never, ever, dive into social media marketing without a strategic plan.