Have you been ignoring Twitter?
News no longer breaks, it tweets.
I bet you have been ignoring Twitter. Most small business owners don’t realize or recognize it’s power. You probably think that it’s just a platform for President Trump to speak his mind and all his supporters or opponents to speak theirs.
True, President Trump has resuscitated Twitter. Moreover, Twitter reported a significant increase in their 2019 Q4 monetizable Daily Active Users (mDAUs). What’s monetizable mean? Why is it different from Monthly Active Users (MAU) or Daily Active Users (DAU)?
New Twitter Stats
Monetizable active users only counts users to whom Twitter can show ads, which Twitter says is a more representative metric of its performance.
“Many have criticized the mDAU count, as it means Twitter has also stopped providing the regular MAU and DAU counts, limiting comparison to other platforms. But there is logic to the mDAU calculation. Reaching 300 million monthly users doesn’t mean much if you’re counting people who, say, see tweets embedded on other platforms or similar, surfaces where Twitter’s ads can’t be shown.“Social Media Today
What it doesn’t count are people who view Twitter in a 3rd-party tool like HootSuite or Twitter’s own TweetDeck. You don’t see ads if you use those tools. The people they’re counting are the ones who view Twitter on a desktop or the mobile app.
Why Should you be Marketing on Twitter?
- Tweets come up in Google search – This helps with search engine optimization (SEO) when you share your blog posts and links from your website.
- It’s easy to connect with influencers – An influencer is someone with a lot of followers. You want to connect with influencers in your field or industry. For instance, if you offer parenting classes, you want to connect with mom bloggers. Mom Bloggers are very active on Twitter and it’s easy to build relationships with them.
- Find groups and enthusiasts on Twitter. I found local #CraftBeer lovers to help a client with their grand opening.
- It’s easy to schedule posts – Using some of the free tools like TweetDeck, Buffer or HootSuite, you can schedule posts — other people’s content, promotional posts and your content — to go out into the future.
- You can build a decent following in 30 days – True, it will take a little sweat equity, but it’s worth it. Once you reach 100 followers — with just a little planning, you can do it in a few minutes a day — Twitter will then give you analytics. If you tap into the right crowd, you can build it faster. I broke my record with 100 followers in 2 weeks with the #CraftBeer crowd. I can show you how.
- Take advantage of trending hashtags to get even more exposure and grow your following – Every morning, there’s a hashtag trending:
- Because Twitter moves so fast, you can schedule 10-15 posts a day. However, share other people’s related and relevant content, too! Don’t make it all about you! Only 1 out of 15 tweets should be a selling or promo tweet.
What is a Hashtag?
A hashtag is the pound sign in front of word or phrase that makes it clickable and searchable. It’s a way to classify and brand your tweets and posts. They work on all the networks — even YouTube!
Here are a couple of examples…
- Plan out your hashtag strategy
- You can create your own
- They are not case sensitive, but when using a phrase, capitalize the first letter of each word so it’s easier for the human eye to read.
- They only use letters or numbers — no special characters. As soon as you add a space or symbol, the hashtag ends.
- Always leave a space in front of the hashtag, otherwise, it won’t work.
- Follow relevant hashtags like #parenting or #swimming to see who’s posting and connect with those people.
Here are some Twitter do’s and don’ts:
- Don’t ever buy Twitter followers! They are fake accounts. You want to grow your following organically. People will follow you if they like what you’re posting. And if you already did, it’s going to cost you to either dump that account or have it cleaned. Twitter is trying to combat fake accounts, bots and spam.
- Do thank someone for following you. Using TweetDeck you can thank more than one person at the same time.
- Do be creative in spinning your marketing message with trending hashtags. Always check to see why something is trending before riding on the trend’s coattails. It could be a crisis or tragedy.
- Do tweet! People won’t follow you if you’re not tweeting. You can easily tweet 10 times a day since it goes so fast. Use the scheduler to space your tweets.
- Do check you analytics at the end of each month to see which tweets got the most engagement, reach and clicks. Moreover, you must set up your Twitter analytics when you set up your account. They’ll tell you demographics and what your followers are interested in.
- Don’t automate responses. You want to build relationships. You want to find those influencers — especially the ones that follow you back — that means they’re interested.
- Do follow people who you think are potential customers, referral sources, advocates and influencers. They’ll be notified when you follow them, hopefully, they’ll check you out and follow you back. At that point you’ve started a relationship.
- Do brand your Twitter profile page similar to your website. You have 2 seconds to catch someone’s attention. A visitor should know instantly what it is you do or what you have to offer.
- Don’t get over-wordy with flowery language in your Twitter bio. You have 160 characters. Make it keyword-centric. Add hashtags.
- Do put your location and website address. This is a free billboard and listing and it helps with SEO.
- Don’t be a pest. Yes, you want to connect with people, but people will stop following you if you message them too much as well as over tagging or mentioning them.
- Do use images. They are more eye-catching than just text and links.
- Don’t share from Facebook or Instagram. All you see is a link on Twitter rather than the more eye-catching picture. Furthermore, share pictures directly. That’s where that 3rd-party tool comes in.
Yes, Twitter can be overwhelming. Nevertheless, with a little coaching, you can master Twitter and leverage its power.Follow Me: