Technology – you can’t live without it and sometimes it just doesn’t work like it’s supposed to. We’ve all had computers crash and Internet connections die on us. So what do you do when technology doesn’t work right?
I taught a client how to share her boss’s blog posts with HootSuite and one time she texted me all stressed out that the post didn’t post on Facebook like it should have.
So here’s what’s going on with the technology.
There are several entities involved here...
- You computer, its speed and RAM
- Your Internet connection
- Your browser
- The third-party tool you’re using like TweetDeck or HootSuite
- The social network
- The social network’s servers
- The social network’s API – that’s the code that makes it possible to schedule posts for the future.
- User error
If any one of those elements stops working, what you want to do won’t happen.
So here’s what you can do when technology fails you.
- Refresh the page you’re working on whether it’s HootSuite or TweetDeck or even the social network itself.
- If that doesn’t work, check your modem. You may have lost your Internet Connection.
- If you’re short on time, just post it directly into the social network bypassing the 3rd-party tool.
- If the problem is on the social network, try later.
- Did you goof? We’re not perfect. We all make mistakes. Try again.
Also keep in mind that each of the major networks have many employees working on the site at any given time that may affect how it functions.
Whatever it is, don’t stress out. Just try it later. Or maybe something’s changed and you need a little refresher course.
Need to learn how to use the tools? How about evaluating your efforts? Check out the training and coaching options!
Social Media Marketing Trainer & Strategist
AZ Social Media Wiz