Remember back in the day when you walked by a newsstand and were stopped by a headline on the front page? More than likely, you bought the paper to read the article. That’s how newspapers depended on sales – the sensationalism of their headlines.
That still holds true today, however, it applies to your blog. Now more than ever. There is content overload. You’re not just competing with your industry competitors for a social media user’s attention. You’re competing with the kids, grand kids, friends, family, other pages and people they’ve liked, politics, breaking news, causes, etc., etc., etc. Moreover, you want your heading to stand out in the search engine results page (SERP).
Elements of Good Headlines:
- They are written for the human reader with the search engine in mind. It has to have the focus keyword of the article in it, yet, it’s main purpose is to entice the reader.
- They have the right number of words – not too long that it gets cut off in the search engine results page (SERP)
- They have to have the type of words: Power, Emotional, Common and Uncommon.
OK, here’s a cool tool that will help you write awesome, powerful, enticing headlines.
It will give you a score for your headline. Ideally, you want to get over 70. It’s free and you can try rewording your headline until you get a high score. Sometimes inserting or removing a word or two will make the difference.
Also, it takes into consideration the type of words as well as how many.
Blogging 2-3 times a week with Powerful Headlines will help:
- Drive traffic to your website
- Give you search engine optimization (SEO)
- Increase your subscribers and following