Is your business slow? Has the phone stopped ringing? If you’re in a business slump, there are a few things you can do to jump-start it and attract new customers. Every business has it’s good times and bad times; feast or famine; flood or drought.
First, take a step back. To what can you attribute the slow-down?
- The economy, the election, national news, a weather event? You can’t do much about those except wait. This is where that rainy-day fund comes in.
- You’ve been relying on old-fashioned tactics like cold calling, telemarketing, Yellow Pages, etc.
- Have you been avoiding online marketing like social media or content marketing because you find it overwhelming and confusing?
- You haven’t updated your website since…. wait! You’ve never updated your website since it was created years ago.
- If you have an updated website, you haven’t written a blog post in over a month… or is it over a year? Or does your site even have a blog?
Second, do you really understand your target market?
You need to clearly define and get to know your target market(s)….
- What are their pain points (problems) that you, your product or service can alleviate?
- Do you need to educate your target as to the benefits of using your product or service?
- Do you know what your target market is going to enter in to the Google search box when they have the problem that you can solve?
- Are potential clients finding you? Where do you come up in Google search when someone searches for what it is that you do? Who does comes up on the first page? What are they doing that you’re not?
- What are they doing when they land on your site? Do you have a call-to-action where you can capture their email address in exchange for an ebook or other giveaway?
- Are you sending them a monthly newsletter to keep your name “top-of-mind”? Are you following up with marketing emails after they download the freebie?
- Are your social media network profiles setup correctly and are they painting a positive image of you and your business?
- Are you creating fresh content — blog posts, videos, graphics or podcasts — at least 3 times a week? Then are you sharing them on the social networks?
- Are you actively engaging with potential clients and referral sources on the social media networks? Is your social media following growing steadily?
- Do you have a strategic marketing plan to reach your target with today’s media?
“If you’re not adding new followers on social media, you’re not growing.” ~Mark Cuban
These are tough questions that need to be asked. Moreover, you need to come up with the right answers. If you have more “nos” or “I don’t knows” as answers, then you need to make some changes.
What You Need to do to Jump-Start Your Business
- Decide first if you want to or have the budget to hire a specialist or consultant to guide you in the right direction, make your website functional, and properly set-up your social media profiles.
- If you have the budget, check out my services, then click here for a free phone consultation and analysis of your efforts.
- If you don’t have the budget, you need to learn how to do it all yourself or train someone in your staff. Hey, if business is slow, you’ve got the time.