It’s unfortunate that many business owners are ignoring social media — especially Facebook and Twitter — and especially when it comes to customer service.
One of my clients is opening a “rage room” in Tempe this weekend. Someone wanted to book a party and had a question. The contact form on the website gave her an error message when she tried to send it. Where did she go? FACEBOOK.
She sent a message and I got the notification. I replied for her to call the owner with his number and reported the contact form error to the webmaster.
Depending on the type of business and your target market, your customer and potential customers will use social media to reach you when conventional methods (email, website, phone) fail.
The problem here is if you’re monitoring your social media, you’ll never know when you get a message from a potential client! Facebook also will give you a “badge” if 90% of your average response time is less than 15 minutes.
My client was messaged on Twitter by one of the anchors from the local TV station wanting info on the business and on Facebook from another.
Could you be missing out on some free publicity because you’re ignoring social media?
You can’t afford to!
Here are a few points to ponder:
- It’s your online image. What message does it send if you haven’t posted anything on Twitter, Facebook, or LinkedIn for months, even years? Lazy? Clueless? Behind the times?
- It’s where your potential customers are hanging out. Check out this article on how to reach the different generations through social media.
- You may be missing big opportunities. You’re not increasing your reach or influence. You’re not driving new traffic to your website. Moreover, you’re losing valuable SEO (search engine optimization).
So what do you need to do for better customer service?
- Learn how each of the social networks work and figure out which ones your target market uses the most. Here are my free classes and the free Define Your Target Market Workbook.
- Set up your social media profiles properly. Take into consideration your branding.
- Check your analytics monthly. They’ll tell you if your website traffic is increasing, if people are converting (from a visitor to a lead or a customer/ downloading / buying), and which social networks are contributing to the conversions.
No more excuses! Stop letting these customer service moments slip by!
- Download and set up the mobile apps for the social networks that your clientele frequents the most.
- Turn on notifications. Now, make sure that you do a “do not disturb” parameters or set the notifications to badges and not sounds so you don’t get woken up in the middle of the night.
- Respond in a timely manner. Have the links to Frequently Asked Questions handy so you can just copy and paste.
So, the phone might not be ringing as much lately, it’s because your customers are trying to reach you via social media. Get with the program and stop living in 20th century!Follow Me: