Unlike a for-profit business that usually has one main target market, maybe two, a non-profit has several – at least 5 distinct ones. These 5 target market personas need to be clearly identified and embraced. You need to get to know them – intimately. You also need to find them in the social media networks to be able to build relationships with them.
Here’s a rundown of the 5 Target Market Personas for NonProfits:
- Donors and Sponsors – these are you main fundraisers. They love your cause and show it by their generosity.
- Volunteers – they are the heartbeat of your organization. They are passionate for the cause and show it by giving their time.
- Advocates – these people believe in your cause and show it by being ambassadors on social media and raising awareness. They’ll share your content with their friends without thinking twice.
- Clients / Members – the people you serve. If you’re a charitable organization, they are the people you help. If you’re an association, they are your members. Without clients, you have no reason to exist.
- Board Members – these are the brains of your NPO. They help make major decisions. They are volunteers who have the experience of running their own companies or have a c-level or managerial backgrounds. They contribute their knowledge and expertise.
Now, some of these can overlap. Board members can be donors and sponsors. Everyone can be an advocate and everyone can help with social media.
How to use Social Media to find these People:
- LinkedIn (B2B): Here you’ll find your executives, donors, sponsors, board members and association members. Join and contribute to groups. Post regularly to your personal updates and to the organizations LinkedIn company profile. Write a “post” (longer article) a couple of times a month to gain exposure.
- Facebook & Pinterest (B2C): Reach volunteers, advocates and clients
- Twitter & Google+: Excellent for getting exposure, building awareness, driving traffic to your website and search engine optimization.
- YouTube, Periscope & Instagram: These media channels are the best way to showcase your organization, what you do, how you help, etc. Great for events and building awareness.
It’s important that you educate your current volunteers and staff to reach out and support your organization on social media.
Start by downloading our free Define Your Target Market Workbook. You’ll need to do one for each of your targets.