You maybe asking yourself, “What is Content Marketing?” The short answer is blogging. Yes, blogging is the foundation for inbound marketing, search engine optimization (SEO) and it is how you build your following on the social media networks and grow an email list. Blogging connects you to your target audience and positions you as an expert in your field — a trusted source of information. The strategy is to blog about what you know — which is your business (service or products).
You also want to become a content magnet. People will follow you if you are putting out great, useful content.
The Keys to Success for Your Blog Are:
- Keep it Short and Simple (KISS) — this means approx. 300-500 words, using simple language, and not industry jargon. You can go longer if you need to further explain your point.
- Always use a graphic — make sure it at lease 250 pixels on its smallest side to the social networks will pick it up. Moreover, use pictures that depict your target market. If you’re trying to reach millennials, don’t use pictures of older folks.
- Use an editorial calendar — plan it out, but be flexible to incorporate new questions.
- Write for your target audience – what will solve their problems or make their lives better. Answer their questions. Use a free site like Quora to find out what people are asking about your topic.
- Write in natural language but with the search engine in mind. Do you keyword research first and incorporate them in the body of the blog article. The keyword list will also provide topics of what people are searching for.
- Tell stories — success stories, project stories, people stories. Folks like to see themselves in articles.
- Blog at least once a week, 2 – 3 times a week is optimal!
What are other types of Content Marketing?
Blogging isn’t the only form of content marketing…
- Shared content from trusted sources that is relevant or related to your business.
Which Content Type will Work for You?
Are you a fair writer? If not, to do blogging you may have to hire an editor. Are you a better talker? Then you may want to consider videos or podcasting. Is your business visual? Then videos and pictures will be your main content forms. However, know that Google doesn’t see videos or pictures. It sees text and links. So always fill in the “alt text” area when upload pictures and put keywords in the file names and links.
The ultimate goal of content is to offer your target market the information they are seeking while…
- Getting exposure
- Improving your SEO
- Building a social media following
- Establishing credibility and building trust
- Driving potential leads to your website
- Building your email list
People buy from whom they know and trust!
Another question is the platform. I prefer WordPress — here’s why.