You can word this question however you want: Should you have a blog on your website? It’s asked hundreds of times. My answer?
If you don’t have a blog on your website, you’re missing out on the main means of keeping the Google search engine happy. The more fresh, original content that you create on your website, the more the Google spider will come and index it.
The spider looks for text and links. It doesn’t see pictures or videos.
Each and every blog post on your website must contain:
- Title with your focus keyword in it. It could be one word or a phrase that is the main topic of what that blog post is about. The title needs to be enticing enough for the visitor or social media follower’s curiosity to be piqued so they click on it to read it. This drives the visitor to your site.
- At least 300 words (if the main content feature is not a video). The blog article needs to deliver on the title.
- At least a featured image or picture with text wrapped around it. Make sure you describe the picture by filling out the Alt Text area when uploading it. The text is what the search engine spider sees. Having the title or focus keyword helps. Also, if your picture is pinned on Pinterest, that’s the description that will show on the pin.
- Internal links to related content on your website – either other blog posts or pages.
- External links to relevant content – you can site a source of a quote, picture or video.
- A call-to-action at the end of the article. What do you want the reader to do once they’ve finished reading the post? Download a free ebook? Contact you? Schedule a free consult? Here’s where you capture the lead that the blog post generated.
- Relevant keyword tags – here you choose all the keywords or phrases that pertain to the post. You can choose several, but don’t go crazy. These appear at the end of the post so people can click on a word to see more articles on that topic.
Blog on your website at least 3 times a week.
It’s been proven that 3 times a week is the charm. Use an editorial calendar to plan your posts ahead of time. If an idea comes to mind, use your phone’s reminders or voice memo to “jot” down the idea so you don’t forget it.
What about a free blog on another site?
Why do you want to send traffic to someone else’s site?
It’s not that expensive to have your own WordPress website with the blog incorporated into it. We offer a class on how to build your own WordPress site for just $75. You can’t find someone worth their salt to build one for you for less than $500.
Here’s a video Overview of WordPress and Why I Use WordPress.
We offer a free analysis and 30-minute phone consultation. Click here to schedule yours.