What do you want to be known for? What’s your brand?
Your Personal Brand is your Reputation
When you step into an elevator with another person, wouldn’t it be nice if that person says, “Hey aren’t you the _____ lady/guy?”
That happened to me one day. “Aren’t you the social media lady?”
I don’t care that he didn’t remember my name. He related my face with what I’m an expert in. I answered, “Yes, I am! How do you know me?”
“I think we’re connected on LinkedIn. It’s so nice to meet you in person!”
Wow! That’s how you bring the online world into the real world.
What does it take to reach that kind of fame? How do you develop your online brand or persona?
Persistence and Consistency
You decide what your online brand is going to be. That’s your personal brand. Basically, it’s what you talk about the most. What article topics do you share the most? Which industry influencers do you quote, follow & connect with?
You become like those with which you hang out!
Here are some things you can do to get noticed and become known as an expert in your field…
- Make sure your LinkedIn profile is 100% complete. Your professional-looking head shot is there and you have a heading with your industry. (Remember, the guy in the elevator didn’t remember my name but he recognized me by my picture & title — and what I post!)
- Make sure your personal and business social media pages are complete and they all are connected and optimized with quality graphics and your industry keywords. Furthermore, it is your online image! Make it good!
- Share, share, and share some more! Find trusted sources of content in your industry or field who consistently put out good, quality content and share it regularly. Set up automatic feeds with Dlvr.it or HootSuite.
- Find influencers in your field. Follow, connect, share, comment, build a relationship with them (that’s the social part of social media!) Hopefully, they’ll follow you back and share some of your stuff with their followers. An influencer has a lot of followers.
- Join Groups on LinkedIn and Facebook. Participate and get known. Moreover, when you share something in the groups, your picture, name & title appears with the post. People, that’s how you get known for what you do. Look for groups with:
- your target market
- influencers in your field
- peers or industry news
- local businesses