May of 2020 is different from any May. For some, it means venturing outdoors and attempting to resume life post COVID-19 lock-down. For others, it will be very much like April was — shut in and ordering out.
However your business is affected, the best advice I can give you is to plan ahead.
In the Phoenix area and the Sonoran Desert, May is when the Saguaro Cacti bloom. They have to be well over 40 or 50 years old before they bloom!
We’re hoping that the 100 degree temperatures will help stop the spread of the coronavirus.
Besides Mother’s Day, what else will be trending on social media in May?
Observance and Awareness Days
I publish this every month so you can plan ahead how you can “spin” your marketing message to take advantage of what’s trending on social media.
These are just some of the observance and awareness days. For the full list, visit these sites:
These calendars offer some links to details on the observances that might help you if you’re blogging.
How to use this list:
Peruse the list and take note of any interesting days or awareness/observances that relate to your business or is fun or generic enough that you an spin your marketing message around it. Get creative and have fun! Write a blog post and schedule it out to go on that day.
The months’ observances usually trend (lots of people are talking about it) in the first few days of the months. Weeks tend to trend on the Sunday or Monday and days start early in the morning depending if it’s a world/global observance or national. So, take time zones into consideration when scheduling. If you miss the first days of the month, even though it might not be “trending” at the time, publish a post anyway as long as it’s in the month of the observance.
Most of these observances will have hashtags. Be careful with apostrophes. Hashtags work with only with letters and numbers. As soon as you add a space or a symbol, it ends the hashtag.
What’s Going to be Trending in May:
Month-long May Observances:
In no special order…
- Better Sleep Month
- Celiac Disease Awareness Month
- Clean Air Month
- Correct Your Posture Month
- National Dental Care Awareness Month
- National Arthritis Month
- National Stroke Awareness Month
- National Military Appreciation Month
- National Motorcycle Awareness Month
- National Mental Health Awareness Month
- National Wildfire Awareness Month
- National Brain Cancer and Brain Tumor Awareness Month
- National Foster Care Month
Older Americans Month
- National Barbecue Month
- National Bike Month
- National Blood Pressure Education Month
- National Cystic Fibrosis Awareness Month
- National Egg Month
- National Get Caught Reading Month
- National Hamburger Month
- National Inventors Month
- National Lyme Disease Awareness Month
- National Mediterranean Diet Month – link
- National Photography Month
- National Preservation Month
- National Salad Month
- National Salsa Month
- National Strawberry Month
- Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month
- National Water Safety Month
- Melanoma Awareness Month
- National Moving Month
- National Asthma Month
- Jewish American Heritage Month
- Small Business Week – First Week in May
- National Wildflower Week: First Full Week of May
- Choose Privacy Week: First Full Week of May
- Screen-Free Week: First Full Week of May
- Nurses Week: May 6th – May 12th
- National Pet Week – First Sunday through Monday of May
- North American Occupational Safety & Health Week – First Sunday through Saturday of May
- Public Service Recognition Week – Begins First Sunday of May
- National Hospital Week – First Full Week of May
- Teacher Appreciation Week – First Monday through Friday in May
- National Etiquette Week – Begins the Monday of the Second Full Week
- National Salvation Army Week – Second Full Week
- Bike to Work Week – Second Work Week
- Police Week: Week of May 15th
- Public Works Week: Week of May 15th
- National Emergency Medical Services Week: Third Full Week of May
- American Craft Beer Week – May 14 – 20
1 – May Day
National Loyalty Day
National Space Day
Global Love Day
2 – National Life Insurance Day
World Tuna Day
3 – World Laughter Day – we can definitely use this!
4 – Stars Wars Day (“May the 4th be with you”)
National Renewal Day
International Firefighters Day
5 – Cinco de Mayo
National Teacher Appreciation Day
World Asthma Day
6 – National Nurses Day – this should be HUGE this year!
National Skilled Trades Day
Childhood Depression Awareness Day
International No Diet Day
7 – National Day of Prayer – this should also be HUGE!
National Day of Reason
8 – World Red Cross and Red Crescent Day – Give Blood!
9 – Stamp Out Hunger Food Drive
10 – Mother’s Day
Clean up your room day
World Lupus Day
11 – Eat what you want day – not a good idea.
National Women’s Checkup Day
12 – National Fibromyalgia Day
International Nurses Day – Yes! Celebrate nurses twice!
International Hummus Day
13 – National Apple Pie Day
National Receptionists Day
Third Shift Workers Day
14 – Dance like a Chicken Day – this should be fun!
15 – Peace Officers Memorial Day
National Chocolate Chip Day – Oh, Yeah!
Pizza Party Day – Double, Oh, Yeah!
International Day of Families
16 – Do Something Good for Your Neighbor Day – definitely!
Armed Forces Day
Learn to Swim Day
Wear Purple for Peace Day
17 – World Hypertension Day
World Telecommunications and Information Society Day
18 – No Dirty Dishes Day
Visit Your Relatives Day – via Zoom!
International Museum Day – many have virtual tours!
20 – National Rescue Dog Day
21 – American Red Cross Founder’s Day
Waitstaff Day – most may be unemployed right now
World Day for Cultural Diversity
22 – National Maritime Day
National Road Trip Day – pack a lunch & go for a ride!
23 – World Turtle Day
24 – National Scavenger Hunt Day – should be fun!
25 – National Missing Children’s Day
National Wine Day – don’t over do it!
26 – National Paper Airplane Day – perfect if you’re bored at home!
27 – Senior Health Fitness Day
28 – National Brisket Day
29 – National Paperclip Day – what can you create with paperclips?
31 – Heat Awareness Day
World No Tobacco Day – besides, smokers are more susceptible to COVID-19.
National Smile Day