It seems like everybody’s on Facebook! However, even though Facebook provides free business profile pages, should you use that as your only online marketing tool?
Yes, your Facebook page can serve as a website, but I don’t recommend it.
- You’re limited on what you can enter in the “about” section of your Facebook page – not so on a website — you have unlimited space.
- It’s not your platform – it’s Facebook’s. You are just “renting” their space for free. Your website is yours you have complete control.
- Your website has several roles:
- Though Google respects FB and links that you post on FB do help with search engine optimization (SEO), they’re not indexed in the Google search engine like posts from Twitter.
- A website looks way more professional.
- With Facebook’s algorithm change in March 2018, they are reducing the reach of posts from business pages and giving more visibility to posts by individual users.
Though, if you’re just starting out and your website is not finished, yes, Facebook can serve as your primary introduction to your business for a short time. I wouldn’t keep it that way for more than a month. Creating a free WordPress.com blog/site may be a better solution and then you can easily export your blog posts when your website is finished.