The social media networks: Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, Pinterest and YouTube, each have very powerful internal search engines that rival Google.
If you don’t have your business profiles optimized for their search engines, you won’t come up in search results. They work the same as Google — based on keywords and phrases that searchers enter into the search box to find what they need.
Also, your social media business profiles come up in Google search. Searching for information on a business, I entered the name and their LinkedIn company profile came up first – above their website! I was searching to get more information on a candidate and when I Googled her name, her Facebook business page came up before her website.
Here are some tips to help you tweak your social media to make them POWER PROFILES!
- Clearly define your target market. The better you get to know your target market niche, the better you’re going to be able to reach them.
- Do some keyword research. This will tell you the keywords and phrases your potential customers are using. Google Keyword Planner is the best. It’s part of their AdWords program, but it’s free to use.
- Once you have your keywords, it’s time to get creative with your social media profile descriptions.
- Twitter and Pinterest only give you 160 characters so don’t use “flowery language” — make it keyword-centric.
- Facebook, Google+, and LinkedIn give you a lot of space, use it! But same thing — keep it keyword-centric.
- Instagram is shorter at 150 characters.
- YouTube gives you several places to add descriptions including the video defaults. BTW, YT is the 2nd largest search engine next to its parent, Google. “How to” is the most searched-for phrase.
- Use hashtags on the major keywords on Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram.
- Spell check! Some of these search engines give you exact matches. If you misspelled something, it won’t come up.
- Put yourself in your target market’s shoes. Look at everything from their perspective.
- Make sure you have the correct URL (web address) linked properly. This helps with overall Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
You have only 7 seconds to catch a visitor’s attention. Make it good!
Your graphics should be of good quality, not fuzzy and a visitor should know instantly what it is you do and have to offer.
If you need help with your social media profiles, here are two alternatives for you:
Grab our Social Media Success Startup Pack (ON SALE NOW!) – it has all the resources you need for keyword & market research, plus much more!
Schedule a free 30-minute phone consult and analysis. I’ll look at your website, even do an SEO test, and your social media networks and tell you what could be improved.